Fruit and vegetable cleaning process

Hi,

How do you all cleane fruits and vegetables for best result ?

• Any good organic cleaning products for fruits and vegetables ( added into the rinsing process )?
    *baking soda, salt water etc ?
  • If yes, have you seen any improvements in shelf life in Raw products?

BR
/Gergö

I always like using ECOlab fruit and vegetable antimicrobial wash. It’s approved certified organic. It used to be called Victory. I have never compared for shelf life but you can see it remove lots of wax standard washing under water doesn’t.
For operations, most health departments I find do not approve baking soda / vinegar, because they prefer something like the antimicrobial wash that comes with a test strips that you can measure the concentration or PPM much easier and record in a log book.

9 Likes

Thanks Ari!

It was nice to meet you in LA. I will check it out right away.

/Gergö

I prefer vinegar to wash the produce

3 Likes

Hi Ari! Your book is amazing!!! You wouldn’t happen to know the ingredients of ECOlab’s veg wash would you?

Going though the normal Food Manager Certification process and read plain water was in some cases the best. I’ll look for the article. I have done a 3x Wash: water soak, good rinse (each kale leaf, stem etc.), then final rinse.

R

Thanks glad you liked it! ECOlab has their safety data sheets listed here, https://www.ecolab.com/sds
They should have all the active ingredients listed.
Like mentioned before it’s not always a required step, but it kills 99.9% of pathogens and also does a great job of removing the wax from produce as well.

2 Likes

For me, the best way to use water with ozone, disinfection and waste you may have had in vegetables, the installation of an OZONE generator.
and not expensive

Escrito en Español

2 Likes

We use grapefruit seed extract (GSE) it is antibacterial, antimicrobial, anti-fungal, and a natural product. I learned this for someone who has been in food safety for a very long time. It is also quite inexpensive.

4 Likes

35% Food grade hydrogen peroxide diluted in water
Kills everything- even e coli

I buy in bulk from this website.
A small amount goes a long way!
www.purehealthdiscounts.com

1 Like

Since it’s approved certified organic, it’s fine to be used on organic produce? Just wanted to double check :blush:

1 Like

Yes definitely. Works great

1 Like

We have had a lot of success with the FIT Wash which is 100% organic and is a citric acid and sunflower oil compound.

2 Likes

Thanks Ari! I looked for the Victory Sanitizer and its main ingredient Is Acetic Acid, once I tried it and it made too much separation in my juices, although it was other brand (not Ecolab), then I moved to a grapefruit seed extract that doesnt cause this separation but is very expensive, do you recommend me to give another try with the Victory?

FIT wash that @TheJuiceBoxLV mentioned, I have heard works really well. That is odd that the juice has separated due to the wash. Perhaps check out the “Fruit and Vegetable Antimicrobial wash” from ECOlab, they reformulated the Victory wash and discontinued Victory, not sure if they took out that ingredient or not, I would also try pressing a little slower if possible and see if that fixes the separation issue. I have found with green juices especially, if you press too quickly it will oxidize on the top and separate quicker than pressing slowly. Hope that helps.

3 Likes

1a. Are most juicing outlets washing / cleaning pre-pressed produce by hand – or is an automated process (partial or entire) being incorporated? 1b. As for automation, what machinery may be purchased to ensure fruits and vegetables are washed in ways consistently meeting / surpassing health department standards?

1. Have any certain methods or washing solutions compromised the integrity of organic produce?

Thanks everyone! I continue to appreciate all you who so freely offer input. Amazing!

Hi Jeff, most small juice companies do everything by hand. Automated equipment is quite expensive and still takes a few employees to operate, so it usually only makes sense when making several thousands of bottle of juice per day.

There are certain washing solutions that are ok for organic.

1 Like

Using heavily diluted 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide is the way to go for this.
Here’s where I always get it from.
https://bulkperoxide.com

1 Like