Batch number nutrition facts barcodes and listens requirement

Hello everyone

What are batch number /codes

How can you generate a nutrition facts and percentage for a product is there an app

Are barcodes required for catering events or direct wholesale (restaurant or retail business resell product).

What are the licence required for Juice business

@Chrissy Hello,
Batch number/codes or lot numbers are a set of numbers in this case on a bottle in which you will be able to trace the end product (bottled juice) to the produce you used when producing it, who made it corresponding logs etc. Basically for traceability purposes. Most small operations can actually use just the date as an official lot code for example if I date a bottle 12/4/19 the lot code could simply be “12042019”

Not sure what you mean about percentages, are you referring to the percentage of juice that needs to be on a label? For the nutritional labels, most operations are exempt or fall under what’s considered a small business (Under 100 FTE’s employees or less than 100,000 units sold in 12 months

https://www.fda.gov/food/labeling-nutrition-guidance-documents-regulatory-information/small-business-nutrition-labeling-exemption

I am not familiar with requiring barcodes for catering events, or what the purpose would be if you were doing lot codes already.

I would need to know more about what type of business model you are planning to know what licenses would be required.

2 Likes

I have a few options …but so far I’m thinking about making unpasteurized juice , combining more than 1fruit or vege

When u say business model do you mean
Store Front
Catering
Direct Wholesale

I think online orders is what I would be interested in.

Now I have a question this made me think so I have a smoothie bar and I do sell for juices at the moment I just opened for fresh squeezed juices am I supposed to have a certain type of cold when I sell these juices I do have the date on the juice that it was sold but at the moment that’s all I thought I needed until I read these comments

@Chrissy if you’re selling direct to the end consumer (e.g. delivery business) then you don’t need to worry about UPC / barcodes. That is mainly used for grocery stores and distributors tracking their thousands of items.

In regards to generating nutrition facts for juice acceptable by the FDA, the easiest way is to get help from a professional like @AriS who has access to the approved software.

But as he mentioned you likely don’t need to if you’re just starting out and aren’t producing a lot of volume.

@Teleshac1

This depends on where you’re located and how much juice you are selling. You should reach out to the local health department in your area.

Ok thanks I had did not know I live in Chicago Illinois but I will contact them tomorrow I would think they would’ve told me but thank you