Natural vs Added Sugar

It seems to be very common now that people are avoiding cold pressed juice because of the “high sugar” content.

I think all of us in the industry know intuitively that the sugar we get from natural fruit and vegetables is not the same as added sugar or juice from concentrate, but are there any studies that show that to be true?

If anyone can help with links or book recommendations that support this theory I would like to do some research so I can write an article about it and make a video.

Thanks!

6 Likes

This is from a juice bar blog (not mine)… but is a start… https://www.thefountainofjuice.com/blogs/news/natural-vs-processed-sugars

2 Likes

I don’t have any books or research this topic but. I’ve been in the industry for 19 years and in my opinion, the best juice to drink on a regular basis is pure veggie juice and the occasional fruit juice. Juice has a TON of positives but it is still sugar and honestly should be consumed by the average person in 8 oz quantities. I have found over the years that the best way to lure peoples into a healthy lifestyle and to detox them off of the standard American diet is with fruit juice. I have seen over the years that with this “gateway juice” that eventually people develop the taste for raw veggie juice so we have always offered that option. I personally cringe at making cleanses with a ton of fruit juice but I do them because it gets people results and palatable juices that are high in sugar is what the public needs right now. Honestly, the thing I find beneficial about Juice Cleanses is that it jumpstarts people’s diets and they stop craving foods that are bad for them. It floods their body with live vitamins and minerals and Yin energy that is so badly needed with the Yang standard American diet and I never recommend any juices with sugar to people with Cancer. Like I said, I don’t have any books or links but I’ve been a juice nerd for a while and this is what I have picked up over the years in my book and human studies. Juice is one of those things people cycle in and out of even back in the day when it wasn’t really in the larger public consciousness but people always seem to come back to it.

1 Like

Hi I have to confess I’m so tired of hearing the complaints about the amount of sugars in juices. My shop is in the lobby of a chiropractor’s office and under the same roof as a Crossfit gym. Keto is the rave! I get it, but come on 6 months to a year cutting out all fruits and nutrition packed carrots and beets!! Can’t be good. I have a couple options that simply have lime or lemon plus the veggies. Nope! Not sure anyone has any info other than what’s listed above, but if so please share. I suppose I’m just “venting”.
Thanks,
Stephanie Agapé Juices

1 Like

Hello, I am a dietetic student and also interested in starting a juice business.
Fruits, veggies, whole grain, and fiber-rich foods contain monosaccharides( these natural sugars that are very important in the diet) and they are acceptable because they are accompanied by many nutrients(Nutrition and Diet Therapy) whereas added sugars add kcalories and no nutrients.

1 Like

https://www.neb.com/applications/glycobiology-and-proteomics/glycobiology

Entire governing bodies dedicated to the study of sugars and physiological processes, they must be important, eh? Let’s look beyond the macros and start to understand what micronutrients are and the important roles they play in many biological functions that keep us alive. Connective tissues, protein metabolism, kidney filtration, you name it. How can we complete a puzzle without having all the pieces? If you have receptive customers, catch their attention by hitting them with an awesome sugar fact. The more customers are aware, the less they will walk up to your counter saying “I’m cutting out ALL sugars from my life.” Not possible, now buy a tasty, nutritious juice already! :slight_smile:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8346704/

2 Likes

Thanks @Kaitlin_Soto those are interesting resources. A bit too sciency for me to understand, but I bet one of those organizations would do a study for us if we paid them. Could be a good project for JMA

4 Likes

Thank you for this information, it will definitely be helpful in combating the myths

1 Like