Freezing juice - how do you feel about it?

I often make a batch of juice (about 10 bottles) and freeze half of it. I later thaw bottles per needed and it tastes fine! Not quite as good as fresh, but pretty close. How do others feel about freezing as a form of preservation? yay or nay?

7 Likes

I am also curious to hear what others have to say as I too freeze juice and feel it preserves the taste pretty well…but wonder if the nutritional value is also preserved…

2 Likes

Robin, good point, I’d be interested in some nutritional data on de-thawed frozen juice. Maybe a job for the test kitchen :grin:

2 Likes

I’m a nay on freezing, personally.
The pure velvety texture is one main reason that I’m so passionate about fresh cold-pressed juice and the frozen/thawed it seems like the beautiful vivid color changes, as well as the texture. Seems more watery to me. It’s subtle, but I’m a purist! LOL

As far as nutritional content, from what I understand and have researched, there is a slight degradation to the nutrients because the enzymes are not deactivated when freezing, so freezing only slows down the process that would be occurring in the refrigerator, it doesn’t stop it. Taking out as much air as possible before storing is a factor as well. Doesn’t sound like a few days or even a couple of weeks has much of an effect…seeing a lot of “good for 6 months in the freezer” information out there. Raw Generation freezes their juices as part of their process!

FRESH FRESH FRESH for me!
Plus, juicing is my meditation so I like to do it every day :wink:
Thanks for the thread and conversation, all…I look forward to what others have to say!

6 Likes

My holistic Dr told me he would rather have juice that was frozen then not have it at all. My friend who was being treated by him for cancer was told to make Beet, Carrot, Apple, Celery and freeze it. Her maintenance program required 8oz a day for the liver, best if fresh but frozen if not.

4 Likes

I think freezing is the best form of preserving juices , it helps keep it fresh and tasty for few days . After a week , taste would definitely change , but not necessarily turn bad.

4 Likes

On the same subject to freezing juice has anyone consider freezing Nut Mylk? The purpose is for smoothies, and I was going to test making coffee smoothies with ice cubbed Nut Mylk. I’m curious if anyone has tried this before. Thanks

5 Likes

I think freezing is ok, sometimes you wouldn’t want to juice every now and then due to a busy schedule. On the other hand don’t you find that a cold juice tastes better than a freshly made juice? I test my juice after freshly making it but find out that it tastes way better after some time in the fridge.

4 Likes

@Flavio yes I think the juice is best chilled. If you start the cold produce and are using a press the juice will come out cold. Even then, I do think it’s better once it’s either been in the fridge for a bit or put into a blast chiller, which some companies use to bring the juice down to proper temperature quickly.

1 Like

I’m going to vote no on this one! Unless you have a flash freezer, the chances of preserving these nutrients quickly enough to retain value is unlikely. To my understanding nutrients such as vitamin C are temperature sensitive. Fresh is best!

Side note don’t freeze if you bottle in glass! I have had clients make this mistake in the past.

2 Likes

So true when any Juice is chilled properly yield better taste and flavor vs room temperature

What do u think is best for the juice chill from blast freezer (quicker) vs chest freezer (slower)

I believe blast freezing is generally considered better. When using a slow freezer, the liquid in the middle can be warm for quite some time. Especially if freezing a large batch of bottles. The bottles in the middle of the group will get cold much later than the bottle on the outside of group.

2 Likes

I freeze my almond mylk all the time, but this is for my personal consumption at this point, not sure that I would feel right freezing it then selling it. As for nutritional value, I really can’t answer that…as for taste and texture, I notice no difference. I put in mason jars, and leave about 1 - 1.5 inch headspace (to allow for expansion when it freezes). I thaw it directly into the fridge, so it usually takes about 12 hours to completely thaw, but that is for pint size jars. Hope this helps.

1 Like

There is a brand called Good Mylk that freezes raw almond milk and sends out to customers. I have tasted it, and I agree it’s good and negligible difference to non-frozen.

1 Like

Love this idea for smoothies!! Keeps the beverage cold and flavorful without adding water from ice! Nice!! Thank you

2 Likes

Curious if freezing affects the enzymes in fresh juice, and if so, by how much?

2 Likes

Curious if freezing affects the enzymes in fresh juice, and if so, by how much?

I haven’t been able to find any data / reports on this.

2 Likes

So if I wanted to blast freeze my juice, I have to do it in plastic containers and not glass bottles?

1 Like

Morning guys, I’m interested in blast freezing straight after production then moving to a freezer for storage prior to postal delivery. My understanding is that the blast freezing maintains the juices enzymes and nutritional value. Is this correct and does anyone have any experience with this process?

Any thoughts would be really helpful.

3 Likes